A Starlight recipe. Pesto.
The herbs in my tiny garden are rampant – so its Pesto-time. I make two types one with sweet basil, the other with sage. They both stay fresh in their jars in the fridge for a month or so. Add to pasta and you have an instant and fragrant Italian meal. The recipe below will fill one average jar.
- 2 good handfuls of solidly packed fresh Basil or Sage leaves.
- 1 elephant garlic clove chopped.
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts lightly toasted.
- Generous ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
- Several turns of black pepper.
- Pinch of sugar.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Good handful of freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- ½ stick of butter melted.
- Blend the first 7 ingredients in a blender(about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides). I try for a slightly rough texture but suit your own tastes as to smoothness.
- Add the grated cheese and melted butter and whirl for about another 15 seconds.
- Taste for smoothness, extra seasoning, or more oil. It should be thickly sloppy.
- Pour into glass jars, seal with cling film and store in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. They make excellent dinner presents as well I small glass jars!