Today I “invented” a sublime dish – simple and delicious. I had some toasties left over from Fish Soup last night. “Toasties” are garlic and olive oil smeared toasted slices of baguette. I had as well half a bowl of spicy guacamole also the remains of last night. The wind was blowing in from the ocean and the call was for something sturdy for breakfast.
- slice the baguette on the bias to give pieces 4” X ½”.
- toast till dark brown.
- rub the hot surface hard with a peeled clove of garlic.
- dribble I tbsp best quality olive oil on each slice.
- buy an excellent carton at Publix or make your own.
- roughly chop and mash several ripe avocados, mix with a little olive oil.
- add crushed and shredded clove of garlic plus a shredded hot red pepper to taste.
- add salt and black pepper to taste.
Smear the Guacamole liberally on the hot toasties and enjoy.
Wonderful with strong black coffee and the NYT.