Big John spends his time fishing off the coast of Florida when he is not trading textiles around the world. From time to time he drops off the freshest of fish and in return I find wines for him and his lovely wife, Terry and cook them supper.
But how best to cook a surprise delivery of the freshest fish? Here is the simple and genius answer.
- Open and chill the best bottle of Loire you have available – Sancerre will do very well. It does not have to be ice cold. You will most times find your whites taste better hours later and when they are getting towards room temperature.
- Whip up the Parsley Sauce.
- 1 massive handful each of parsley, stems and all. Either English or Italian – I sometimes use both.
- 1 handful of mint leaves.
- 2 spring onions or scallions.
- juice of 1 Meyer lemon or any ripe lemon – first reserve the zest for the fish later.
- 1 cup heavy cream.
- sea salt and black pepper.
Blend all the above in a liquidiser until green and smooth, adjust for taste and chill for a couple of hours.
- Sprinkle the fish with sea salt and black pepper and saute covered in olive oil for a few minutes depending on the fish. Add the zest of the lemon when almost done.
- Serve the fish with the Sauce on the side and a side order of salad.
Fabulous ingredients, quick, easy and a delight.”