This is a Starlight recipe, a delicious Hors D’oeuvre or a brilliant light lunch. The key is to keep the tastes and the four elements separate rather than losing each in a mushy medley. Serves 4 as a starter dish. Go heavy as you like on the herbs and spices and be slight with the vinegar.
- 1 lb thick sliced mushrooms.
- ½ cup avocado oil.
- 1 piled tablespoon thyme.
- Pinch of chilli flakes.
- 1 tspoon sea salt.
- A few grinds black pepper.
- A pinch of sugar.
- 1 piled teaspoon each coriander and fennel seeds crushed.
- 1 star anise crushed.
- 1 clove elephant garlic grated.
- 1 handful each fresh cilantro and dill chopped.
- 1 rib and leaves celery finely grated.
- 3 tbspoons honey.
- Juice of ½ Meyer lemon.
- ¼ scant cup sherry vinegar.
- Crème fraiche.
- Multi grain toast.
Toss the mushrooms, avocado oil, thyme leaves, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and sugar and then bake in a 500f oven for 30 minutes on a tin foil lined baking pan. Reserve.
- Herbs and Spices. Liquidise the spices, garlic, herbs, honey, lemon and sherry vinegar – taste and season lightly – reserve as a thick mixture.
- Assemble. Toast one slice per person and serve the warm toast, mushroom stew, herb and spice mix, and tablespoon cold crème fraiche as separate dollops on the plate.
Brilliant with a chilled Chablis, you can prepare the dish well in advance and serve with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro of chives – Greek heaven on a plate.